Subject: [Leica] Portland in a shotglass
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 16:01:56 -0700

Bill Larsen wrote:
><Snip>
> more powerful is some of his documentary work done during the 40's and 50's.
> My real question is "Has the Portland area become one of the centers of
> photographic innovation?"><Snip>

I think there are about a dozen of us from Portland.

Damian Dlugolecki
Dave Rodgers
Michael Leitheiser
Pitak Chenkosol
I think Lucian Chis
Others are lurkers but i sense their presence.
Sorry if i forgot anybody and I have Leica using friends here not on the LUG
(yet). We had Minor White here in the 60's and he started a gallery here.
We've go Weiden and Kennedy here the most influential and "best" advertising
agency in the world here.
The fact that they would be located here instead of a major city is bizarre but
there you are!
Gus Van Sant uses Leicas and is here.
Here in Portland besides lots of stuff to shoot we have Powells City of books
and Camera world both about 5 blocks from each other.
So we have stuff going on.
The Columbia River Gorge my be the most seanic spot in the usa and it is mintues
from here.
The Eastern Oregon high country desert is wonderfull.
A film company doing a film in Orgon can reproduce just about any type locale
right in here in the same state.
It's not just a rainforest anymore!
Mark Rabiner