Subject: Re: [Leica] 40mm lens & viewfinder
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:11:29 -0700

At 7:52 AM -0400 5/22/00, Sal DiMarco,Jr. wrote:
>Mike Quinn,
>    The cam pitch is not rumor. It is fact. While, I don't remember all the
>details, I suggest you ask a repair technician you respect for the answer. I
>haven't had a CL in over twenty years.
>    Your solution to using a 40mm lens on an M3 works for you, it does not
>sound like an efficient one.
>Regards,
>Sal DiMarco, Jr.

I've never has a CL, but the cam pitch thing is fairly straightforward. All
Leicas with the exception of the CL are designed for lenses that have
non-sloping cams. Therefore, the lateral placement of the cam follower
wheel in the camera is non critical. This is essential with the LTM bodies,
as the exact relationship of the lens wrt the cam follower cannot be known.
With M bodies it is known, but Leitz (Leica) decided to continue the same
type of cam.

Anyways, if the exact lateral placement of the cam follower in the body is
not deemed critical by Leica, then it might not be controlled sufficiently
to always touch the correct point of a sloping cam, and therefore cause
incorrect focussing. Mostly, it seems to be OK, but I have had anecdotal
evidence that sometimes it is off, so check the CL lenses out with each
body you intend to use them on.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com