Subject: Re: [Leica] Paris & Tripod
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:33:12 +0100

>Laurent SAMINADAYAR wrote, in part:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in France, for a reason I could not conceive, photography is
>> forbidden in public palces (railways satation for example). But you
>> can ask for an authorization at the proper service of Paris mayor.

I don't think a railway station is a public place. It is private property.
In France the owner  of  railway stations is SNCF (Societe National de
Chemins de Fer). SNCF can tell you what you can do  and what you can not
do on their property, just like you can tell people what to do / not do in
your back yard. I guess SNCF argues that if you do not like what they say,
then stay away from their property.

Did you read/see The Day of the Jackal written by Frederic Forsyte? Perhaps
that inspired the no tripod ruling. If Forsyte had thought of tripods
instead of crutches, then the Jackal would have had three shots .........
and history might have changed!

BTW, Place Pigalle is a public place, and a village market square is too.
Once, in France, I was told by somebody to hand over my film to his friend
because I had photographed the friend who had a stand at a flea market, and
he did not want his friend to be photographed. It turned into a non-event
because ther friend did not mind, but my position would have been that in
France you can take any photograph you want in public places,  but you may
not be able  to publish it without consent of the person being photographed
(or the architect having designed the building). If you still do, it can be
quite expensive.

- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or