Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding film b/w
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:00:54 -0700

>I'll be going to a wedding of our friend's daughter
>next month and want to shoot b/w candids (maybe a few
>posed) shots for her as a gift...
>
>So, what film should I use. I don't do my own
>developing and will take it to camera shop for pro
>developing, if needed. I think I want at least 400 if
>not 800.
>So which would work best for my situation Kodak (TMAX
>3200, TMAX 400, TRI-X 400) or Ilford (HP5, 400 Delta,
>Delta 3200) or something else. And should I push and
>if so, what push speed.
>
>.....Art in NJ, USA

art,

i use and love delta 400 - it's the film i use most, indoors, outdoors,
everywhere and in all occasions. it's got pretty fine grain for a 400 film,
and holds up well, imo, even at 11 x 14. it's good if you want a broad
range of grays, and a fairly smooth transition between them.

if you need faster than 400, or want a grainier, more contrasty look, i
personally like delta 3200 shot either at 3200 or 1600, depending on the
desired grain and contrast (and available light). i also find that tri x
400 pushed to 1600 shoots well. i've also been experimenting with hp5+
lately, and like it at 400, 800, even 1600.

in your position, i would use:

delta 400, light permitting
delta 3200, at 1600 or 3200, depending on the light

those are my personal choices. i'm sure other luggers will chime in with
theirs.

good luck.

guy