Subject: Re: [Leica] "Quick" DOF calculation
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:32:42 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/00 5:25:41 PM, howard.390@osu.edu writes:

<< Well, the conclusion I draw from that is that perhaps you need to rethink
what you consider street photography. >>

Perhaps, but read on . . .

<<As it is, it almost appears as though
you equate "street photography" with "tilted horizon" and "shot from
behind".  A rather narrow definition, in my view.>>

Yep, but that's what I usually see from the pretentious sorts who don't know
what to make pictures of and have nothing to say so they hang around on
street corners . . . but don't get mad yet, read on . . .

<<My personal interpretation of street photography is that is shows life in
public places and is unstaged.  I would not exclude portraits of people in
their working or leisure environments who are fully aware of the
photographer.  I see no reason why pictures without tilted frames couldn't
be street photography, just like I see no reason why vertical panoramics
can't be considered panoramic photography, or why landscapes taken with a
tilted frame shouldn't be considered landscape photography.

Ah, my friend, it sounds like what you are describing is good photography
and, as we all know, a nice picture transcends labels . . .

Bob (never argue with a nice picture) McEowen