Subject: [Leica] Paris, subway & Tripod
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:06:48 +1200

Ted wrote:
>But the two officers in question were Paris police officers patrolling
>around the Arc de Triomph and quite firmly made their point of "no
>tripod" and that I was a professional by using one. My niece who was my
>guide/escort/ translator in a half dozen languages took up my cause and
>explained I was a senior citizen amateur photographer visiting from
>Canada and meant no harm by taking a few "snaps" to take home from "your
>wonderful city."

I can see a situation like this happening to anyone else but, Ted.

What really happened:

Policeman 1: "Merde, isn't that Ted Grant the famous Canadian
photographer over there?"
Policeman 2: "Oui. Should we hassle him about the tripod? I mean he is a pro."
Policeman 1: "I don't know, but he has an attractive young woman with him."
Policeman 2: "Yeah. Can't stand these Leica photographers, they get
all the attractive people, and they seem to have talent to burn too."
Policeman 1: "Yeah. Let's go over and tell him to pack up his tripod
and go back to Canada where they speak that second-rate french."
Policeman 2: "Yeah. Alright, lets go."

:-)

Gary

- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University