Subject: RE: [Leica] Benbo Tripods
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:55:37 -0600

Chuck,

I have one of the original model Benbo tripods - the standard or #1 I think.
They are great for strange angles in flower beds, on rocky ground etc. You
can also use the centre column as a primitive focussing rail for sliding the
camera back and forth to focus (haven't done any of this photography in
years) as the column can be rotated in all sorts of directions. The legs can
be set any way you can imagine very simply. The unique bent bolt design is
based on the tripod mount for the British Vickers (no pun intended!) machine
gun - said mount worked well through two world wars.

They don't pack up as small as other tripods, but are very sturdy, easy to
use in water, muddy ground (waterproof to half the height of the extended
legs). Bear in mind that to make the legs waterproof to this height, the leg
sections are longer than on a standard tripod, so they are somewhat longer
when packed up. They are sort of medium weight to carry. I use mine for my
4x5 now, and it holds it fine. The Trekker version is lighter but not as
sturdy. The next one up from mine is taller, heavier and would take a truck
on top. Getting used to setting them up can be fun at first - a bit like
wrestling with a set of bagpipes! They are so different from any other
design of tripod that they can be hard to compare. They are great as a
standard tripod, and unbeatable for the work you are describing. Mine is 17
years old, with nothing ever gone wrong and some tough usage at times.

They are just changing the head design. The old ball head was simple,
functional and strong. The new one is based on the Giotto heads, but is also
supposed to be good.

Check out:

http://www.paterson-intl.com/paterson/benbo/tripod.htm#INTRO   (not sure if
they distribute them anymore?)