Subject: Re: [Leica] Use of Soft Releases
From: John Brownlow <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:52:27 +0100

on 24/5/00 9:40 pm, P2CON@aol.com at P2CON@aol.com wrote:

> Steve writes:
>
> <<  I have always wondered about the benefits of a soft
> release, so, maybe somebody can explain it to me because I do not see how
> the shutter release on a Leica could be any softer.
> Steve
> Annapolis

I was amazed when I first screwed one of TA's soft releases into my M. I am
not easily jazzed but it really revolutionised my technique.

The key to using a soft release is that you fire the shutter with the pad of
flesh between the knuckle and the tip of the finger, curling the finger tip
over until it touches the top of the camera on the other side of the
release. You can do this without a soft release but it's much easier with
it. Once you've done this a couple of times it feels like the clouds part in
your head. Omigod!! Why didn't I do this sooner. It really feels like
squeezing off a rifle, and the result is that you can confidently handhold
at least one stop slower... I'd actually say more like two.

It takes about an hour to get used to shooting this way, after which you
just forget about it completely. Now I feel really happy about shooting at
1/8, and 1/15 is a no brainer. I personally found it a radical improvement.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk