Subject: Re: [Leica] A combination that works for me
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:12:02 -0700

Dan Cardish wrote:

> RC paper is the common form of photographic printing paper available today.
>  It is basically regular paper with a thin layer of polyethyene ('Resin
> coated') coating both surfaces of it.  The emulsion is coated on top of the
> plastic coating.  It is much easier to process and handle (it dries flat,
> for instance) than traditional photographic paper (nowadays called 'fibre
> based'), but it doesn't have quite the printing quality either, nor
> apparently the longevity.
>
> The new Epson Premium Glossy paper is an RC paper apparently (it sure looks
> like it).  Just today I showed a friend some photos, made noth in my
> darkroom and from my Espon; she preferred the Epson's instantly  (you'll
> have to just take my word for it that my darkroom technique isn't that bad!).
>
> Dan C.
>
> At 05:07 PM 24-05-00 -0500, cec@vbe.com wrote:
> >Hi Dan,
> >I just bought a 1270 and am learning.  Excuse the dumb question but was is RC
> >paper?
> >Chuck

Ironic that what most people nowadays think of as a "real" photograph is an RC print.
And many of them have lost touch with the look and feel of a fiber print which
is less glossy and thicker than an glossy RC.
Certainly less plasticy looking and feeling.
However I don't feel the image itself has more quality on a fiber print.
I hope the inkjet world gets around to a fiber print emulation if they haven't already.
Personally I find myself liking my inkjet prints on a more matt like paper than
I would ever like my "silver" prints on.
I like the Lumijet Soft Suede with MIS quad tone inks off my Epson 750 printer.
In the real darkroom I like the Ilford warmtone fiber glass air dried down on
plastic screens which makes for a semigloss finish which is fairly standard in
the gallery scene.
Mark Rabiner

Message from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> (Re: [Leica] A combination that works for me)
Message from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> (Re: [Leica] A combination that works for me)