Subject: [Leica] Kodachrome Photo CD
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 05:22:26 -0700 (PDT)

John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> wrote:

> From you post I presume Kodak offers the Photo CD service from
> Kodachromes, E-6.  I don't know much about the process, but it would
> seem to be a great way to get scans which are of high quality without
> purchasing an expensive scanner.

I finally found a good lab that does the scanning itself, instead of
sending away.  If I have the film scanned at the same time its
processed, they'll do it for 63 cents a frame (actually 73 cents, when
you count the $10 cd that will hold 100 images).  The results are
superb.  I have heard many horror stories of inept photo labs in
regards to Photo CD scanning, with misregistered frames or dust spots
galore.  Out of my roll of 34 (with Ilford XP2), one picture had one
single dust spot.  The tonal range was very good.  The lab did a great
job at keeping the shadows and highlights within a range where I could
adjust to my heart's content.

That said, I've got to be in the market for a scanner now, so I can do
this myself.  At just over $25 per roll for scanning alone, it won't
take too many rolls to buy a scanner.