Subject: [Leica] Re: LUGMemo from Leica USA
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 05:30:33 -0700 (PDT)

"Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> wrote:

> Actually, dealers tell me they don't have a lot of mark up to deal
> with anyway, but they sure get excited about selling a Leica!

When I bought my M6, my local photo dealer was having a "10% off sale"
on many items.  The Leicas were excluded.  I believe I got $10 off each
of the body and the lens.  Whoopee.  :)  The sales guy said that for as
expensive as they were, they didn't have that much margin on the
Leicas.

Regardless, I wouldn't have bought a Leica if I couldn't have held it
in my own hands.  I also think it is somewhat distasteful to shop
around at my local dealer who has the extra overhead of a walk-in shop
and keeping inventory around for me to try out and then buy mail
order.  After showing me how it worked and how to load film, he let me
play around with the Leica, and went off to help other customers while
I played--totally unsupervised--with the demo M6 and a demo roll of
film for half an hour or so.