Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V17 #130
From: "Marthe & Rene" <marthe.rene@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 13:10:42 -0400

on  Fri, 26 May 2000 13:13:12 -0700

John Alexander wrote

> From: "EXT-Alexander, John" <John.Alexander@ARZ.Boeing.com>
> Subject: [Leica] MY NEW 75MM SUMMILUX HAS ARRIVED!
> Fellow LUGgers,
> A couple of weeks ago my wife, Brenda, and I took a trip to Sonora Bay,
> Mexico for relaxin', photographin', fishin'...and generally, unwindin'.  I
> took an M6HM TTL (with TA RapidWinder/Softie), 35 Summicron (pre-ASPH) ,
> 50mm Summicron (latest), and a 90mmAA and a number of rolls of Tri-X,
100VS,
> and Astia - all neatly tucked away in a Billingham Alice bag.

Snip

> When all was said and done, there were quite a few LESSONS LEARNED. 1) I
> felt an acute need for more cameras (two, at least!)- because of the
obvious
> advantage of having instant access to different films and more than one
> lens) and,  perhaps, a slightly different choice of lenses.   If I had to
do
> this again (and I WILL1!) I'd bring along the following kit: 2-M6HM TTLs,
> 35mm Summilux ASPH, and a 75mm Summilux.  PERIOD!  (A 24mm ASPH added to
the
> kit wouldn't hurt a bit, though.)   I found that a lot of changing between
> the 50 an 90 could have been eliminated by using the 75.!  The Billingham
> bag would be a better "carrier" if it had some kind of anti-skid device
> where the bag rests on your shoulder - 'cause it tended to capriciously
> slide off my shoulder at the most inopportune times

Snip

John, you echo my sentiments exactly.  I carry the 35/1.4 ASPH, 50/2 and
90/2 AA.  I too find myself wishing for something in-between my 50 and 90
most of the time. 80% of my photography is taken with the 35 ASPH. I've come
to the conclusion that the 75 could easily  replace the 50/90 and simplify
my gadget bag at the same time. One camera, two lenses 35/1.4 ASPH and
75/1.4. Eventually a second body (a .85 M6 or an M3) for the 75.

As far as the Billigham goes. My Billingham "Alice" is a very nice bag. I
too find it slipping of my shoulder all the time. My wife now uses it for a
small R8 outfit although the slipping part is starting to annoy her. Anyone
know where one can find a non-slip pad to add to the Billibgham strap.  For
my M6 outfit, I have replaced Billingham with a Timbuk2 bag with a Domke
narrow insert. This new combination is much narrower and remains closer to
my body. The Timbuk2 bag construction is excellent and it doesn't look like
a camera bag.

Rene