Subject: Re: [Leica] Portrait Lens: 90mm or 135mm?
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 23:36:18 +0200

Hi B.D.,

While I agree that the strength of the M lies in the shorter focal length, I
would not dismiss the 135mm Apo Telyt. Focusing is not too hard even on a
regular 0.72 M6, and the results are stunning.

I also have the 90mm Apo Asph and agree that if one can only afford one of
those two lenses, the 90 is the one to get.

Nathan

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> 90! 90! 90! I know there are people on this list who will violently - and
> perhaps politely - disagree with me, but I am a firm believer in the idea
> that the rangefinder camera - particularly the Leica M with its .72 or even
> .85 viewfinder magnification, is ill suited to the use of telephotos. I
> personally no longer use mine for anything over 50 mm, though I will only
> give it up for 50 and below when my eyes are too shot to focus, or they pry
> it from my cold dead hands. But if you want a "portrait" lens for the M, go
> with the 90, or the 75 Summilux, which is a truly stunning lens.
>
> Good luck
>
> B. D.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch