Subject: [Leica] The new, new thing
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 08:10:56 -0700

Got a good laugh from the following excerpt of Thomas Friedman's Op-Ed
column in this morning's New York Times, on the subject of  the coming
digital backlash. Contains an idea for marketing that some of the
professionals on the list might want to adopt.

Day 5: Minneapolis. I am visiting hometown friends, Ken and Jill Greer, who
own an ad agency that advertises its services on a Web site, Thinkgreer.com.
Under photographic services, the Greers offered potential clients two
choices of photography: "Digital" or "Silver Halide."

"People would call us," Ken recalled, "and say, 'I'm familiar with digital
photography, but what is this new silver halide? What sort of technology is
that?' You know, on the Internet everyone wants to be the first to discover
something new, and they assumed that silver halide was this hot new
technology."

Silver halide is just a fancy term for plain old film. But the name is so
high-techy sounding that some people assumed it was the new, new thing, and
they had to have it.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.