Subject: Re: [Leica] Civility
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 09:00:36 -0700

Laurence Gadd wrote:

> Why are so many of you so rude? People ask questions not to be insulted
> but to get answers. It really adds nothing to your lives to insult
> others it only hurts or discourages people you don't even know. Nothing
> you own or have done in life entitles you to put others down. Lets try
> to have intellect, civility and generosity as the watch words of the
> group.<<<<<<<<<

Laurence my friend,

Generally on the Leica Users group we are pretty civil and friends as
though family 9999.9999% of the time.   :-)

But occasionally, as in any good family, once in awhile someone gets out
of bed on the wrong side and hits the screen with a full load of
cantankerousness  ( like that word?) :-) and it means they say something
they don't really mean, inturn appearing to a new member to the family,
that we put others down due to as you say,

"Why are so many of you so rude? People ask questions not to be insulted
but to get answers.<<<

In reality we try not put others down when they ask questions, it slips
past at times and a poster will apologize after they realize they've
dumped on a newbie.

By the same token, we on occasion have an interloper who slides in
baiting the family with the inevitable diatribe that goads experienced
photographers to "loose their cool" and take a rip at them. This creates
an anxiety attack within the family and the family begins to  "discuss
each other quite vehemently"  with counter points at some members being
rude etc.

Meanwhile the interloper sits back and drops bait every few hours or so
and we go into a feeding frenzy at each other.

ERGO!  we appear.......  "to put others down."  in your words.  It's not
an every day occurrence thank goodness, as we truly are quite a civil
and experienced bunch of Leica folks who very much enjoy photography
with great passion.

Good to have you along in the family and do you have any Leica
questions?  Great promises not to put you down! ;-)

regards,
ted