Subject: [Leica] My crime and punishment and a story (Long)
From: MicroGrid@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:42:20 EDT

Sal,

Sentance delivered and served. We don need no steenken black tape here!

Actually your punishment reminds me of an old customer from my days selling
Leicas. Mrs/ Witzeman (RIP) was an optometrist with coke bottle glasses. She
and her husband, also an optometrist, worked very hard for years and when
they retired early they started to travel the world. That's when I met her.
She came in to my store, walked up to me peered at me through her thick
glasses and wanted the camera with the "best viewfinder" I worked with her
for a long time trying to get her to see the rangefinder spot through an M4,
but she could not. then she pointed down to a Leicaflex SL, And said "what
about that?". Well, boy, could she see through that! Meter needles, focusing
aid, all perfect. She bought two of them, and a 35 and a 90. and off she
went. She came back a week later to bring in some film. She had both cameras
hanging from her neck on the OEM straps. They were clanging together like
church bells, and looked it! I adjusted the straps and we looked at her
pictures. My goodness could this woman shoot!!

Her husband passed away shortly after that, but Mrs. Witzeman continued to
travel shoot pictures.

She was out shooting more than anyone I knew at the time, and her cameras
showed it. When something would fall off one of them, she would bring it in
to me, get it fixed, and give it and an equally beatup lens to a grandkid or
a friends kid. She tried many other brands, but she either could not see
through them, or the 11 X 14's weren't good enough. she always came back to
Leica. Her cameras and lenses may have been beat, but I never saw her with a
dirty lens. Maybe on a trip to Vancouver she showed Ted her secret underwear
trick.

She would come back form a trip with 30 rolls of film, and then bring in the
3.5 X 5's and we'd pore over the negatives to try to match up the ones for
enlargements. Her house and her friends' were covered with 11 X 14's of their
travels. Have you ever tried to find "the" negative among 72 others of
the"one" cactus flower!

One time I got a call form her, she had fallen down a mountain in Switzerland
and destroyed her brand new SL2 and a 28 Elmarit. She was in a hospital. She
wanted another camera and lens.

I used to cringe everytime she would walk into the store with thousands of
1960-70 $$ clunking around her neck. But I bit my tongue and never suggested
an neveready case. Something inside told me that she would say "posh, they're
just cameras..Hmmm... What's that lens do?".

I am probably giving you the impression of a doddering old spendthrift. She
was anything but. She knew the value of a dollar. But she knew she had eye
problems, and she wanted to take pictures. She needed a camera that would let
her do that. She knew her cameras were valuable, but she wanted the pictures
more.

I chuckle everytime someone talks about cameras as tools and uses a hammer as
a metaphor. We used to joke about Mrs. Witzeman's cameras AS hammers!

When I saved up enough to by my first Leica, an M5, I didn't buy a case.

Bruce Bowman
Killingworth CT