Subject: Re: [Leica] Agfa Scala
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 22:08:45 +0200

Hi Doug,

Yes, I am very fond of it and use it a lot. In a way it is the best of both
worlds: real B&W shot with Leica lenses and projected with Leica projector
lens.

I wonder how profitable this is for Agfa. The proportion of film shot is
perhaps 95% color negative and 5% slide; of the latter, how much can Scala
be--5%? I am just happy that Agfa continues to make it.

Nathan

Doug Cooper wrote:

> I wonder if anyone here is as fond of Scala as I am.  For years I only
> shot chromes, so this was my standard black and white film.  Wonderful
> stuff, but limits you to a single lab in New York:  Duggal has a monopoly
> on the processing.  (Otherwise you have to send it to Florida.)  The
> magazines often print it with a sepia cast, and the results can be
> remarkable:  almost like a platinum print. (Speaking of which, while we're
> recommending books, I was just raving about Kenro Izu's platinum prints
> of Angkor Wat, in "Light Over Ancient Angkor.")
>
> Douglas Cooper

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch