Subject: Re: [Leica] A law of photography
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 01:14:15 +0100

on 2/6/00 7:39 am, Henning J. Wulff at henningw@archiphoto.com wrote:

> When I shoot 35mm, I'm really happy if I get 5 enlargeables from a roll.
> One is more like it. When I shoot 4x5, at least every second one is worth a
> print. One 4x5 takes about as much effort as 36 35mm shots. Comes out even,
> for the input effort.

Your numbers are good, Henning. Moreover, a roll of 35mm film, a 120 roll
and a 10x8 all have about the same amount of surface area. So, we can say to
a first approximation:

    no of keepers  = surface area of film in square inches / 80

I wonder why this equation is not taught in colleges?

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk