Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 2/35 pre-asph answers
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 01:34:56 +0100

on 3/6/00 12:18 am, Jlaird@aol.com at Jlaird@aol.com wrote:

> On this subject (I hope) what are the relative merits of the 35 'cron 1.4
> ASPH over the 35 2 ASPH, besides the obvious one of one more stop. I've seen
> nothing but praise on LUG for the 1.4 and I'm planning to buy a 35 soon.

Again I can't speak from experience with the 35/2 but the 35/1.4 is what you
might call a 'freeing' lens in the sense that you can shoot it as open as
you like and it just delivers impeccable images... sharp from corner to
corner, but more than that... lovely smooth tonality that you would expect
from Leica glass, amazing resistance to flare (shoot happily into the light
wide open... not many lenses can do that) and to top it all, a really nice
bokeh, not the 'glow' of the pre-asph lens, which is undoubtedly a function
of its 'faults', can't have one without the other, but a kindness that
dignifies the subject. I loved my pre-asph 35/1.4 with a deep deep love but
this lens does really go one better. Moreover, if you care about these
things, it has a 'modern' character to its images that sits beautifully
alongside the current (also rather wonderful but little praised) 28/2.8,
which delivers in the same vein.

In a sense you can just forget about this lens because it, in my experience
so far, always delivers. I don't have to second guess it, like I do with
almost every other lens I can think of. Is it going to flare? How is the
out-of-focus b/g going to look? Are the details I am focusing on too small
to be rendered properly (for example, shooting on a subway train on the
pre-asph 35, there was a limit to how far away the main subject could be
before the eyes went mushy and you lost what was potentially a great shot).

Above all, these lenses manage to combine sharpness with sweetness. For me,
sweetness was always more important, which is why I shot Canon FD and
vintage Leica in preference to, for example, Nikon -- and also why, just out
of temparament I think -- I much prefer the 50 lux to the V'lander Nokton,
despite the latter being sharper overall. But to have both -- wow.

The one-stop advantage has another side to it, which is that you can use the
shallow dof of the 1.4 to cut through a situation like a scalpel, clear out
the clutter. Moreover, it focusses closer than the pre-asph, which allows
you to make the most of the shallow dof for those slightly stylised
eyes-in-focus-but-that's-all portraits so beloved of MF photogs.

If a new generation 50/1.4 comes out, I'll be first in the queue.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk