Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Film flatness and sharpness...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 17:33:17 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

> At 10:37 AM 6/2/00 -0700, Tom Schofield wrote:
> >Perceived sharpness associated with very large (billboard or movie screen
> >sized) enlargements has more to do with viewing distance.  That's how Kodak
> >amazes people in Grand Central Station with their print from Ektar and a
> >Kodak Point & Shoot.  Viewers are 50' away.
> >
> >Tom Schofield
>
> Viewing distance is the great equalizer.
>
> Unfortunately, people walk right up to my 48x60's and inspect it. Sometimes
> with a Swiss Army Knife magnifier! Therefore they have to be "dead sharp".
>
> Jim

And this is where we get into qualitative comparisons of grain.
The grain is there, you are looking at it.
Clumpy? Mushrooms? How even?
I walk right up to every image I see to see how the image is put together. I'm
guilty of that. The forest is fine but I want to see the trees, the leaves for
that matter. That has real interest for me!
Mark Rabiner

Message from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] Film flatness and sharpness...)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Film flatness and sharpness...)
Message from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: Film flatness and sharpness...)