Subject: [Leica] Friday FS - Medium Format Kiev 60 -- $160 Complete -- Cheap!
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 23:19:32 -0400

About six months ago I bought one of the Kiev model 60 kits.  I liked it
so much that I decided to go full tilt and get the first design of this
type -- a Pentacon Six.  I really don't need two so if anybody wants to
take the original Kiev 60 off my hands I'll sell it for $160.  This is
the cheapest way you will ever find to get into quality medium format
with interchangeable lenses and finders.  Here's what's included:
1. Kiev 60 body almost new.  (there is a tiny ding in the corner of the
top plate that doesn't affect functioning.  The reason I kept the camera
despite this imperfection was that everything else worked.  When you buy
these you sort of take a gamble, because QC is lacking in the old
Ukraine factory.  I figured that if everything else works I could live
with a small cosmetic defect.)
2.  Arsat 80/2.8 lens with rubber folding shade.  I believe this is
multicoated. This is a very sharp lens, by the way.  Smooth helical and
nice click stops.  Metering is done wide open with auto diaphragm at
moment of exposure.
3.  Eye level prism finder with built in meter (later type) with
batteries.
4.  Waist level finder, no meter, but magnifier.
5.  Some filters for B+W work that came with the camera.
6.  Accessory shoe.
7.  Neck strap.
8.  Instructions in Russian and poor English translation.
9.  Hard case gadget bag sort of thing that looks like an overgrown
binocular case, with leather strap and shoulder pad.  It is specially
made for this camera, but I never could figure out how to fit it all in
there.  Have fun!
10. Various lens caps and body cap.

This is a fun camera to use that delivers excellent results.  It looks
like an overgrown 35mm SLR.  The lens mount is the Pentacon Six style,
so if you get into this format you can select from a plentiful supply of
top quality Carl Zeiss Jena optics at very cheap prices.  Sonnar
180/2.8's multicoated go for $325 or so.  Flektogon MC 50/4.0 a little
less.  And the whole stable of brand new Ukrainian lenses is also
available for cheaper still.  As an example, I got a new 30/3.5 fisheye
for $180 that ain't half bad even.  (I'm keeping it.) Extension tubes
that maintain auto aperture operation are $25 or so.  Also available are
complete extension tube sets, reversing rings, and bellows -- at
reasonable pricing.

On this example, the shutter and frame spacing work just fine.

My wife says I have too many cameras and need to get rid of some, so
this is up for sale since it duplicates the Pentacon I bought.  For the
price you really cannot go wrong.  I will probably have to ship this in
two boxes so figure on $15 extra for priority mail to the USA.

The Lugger who gets this will be surprised at the quality.  I would be
curious about your reaction to the results of pictures taken with this
monster compared side by side with any 35mm enlargement.

The first person to respond and say "I'll take it" gets it.

John

Message from jcoleman@interport.net (Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL)