Subject: [Leica] Re: R zoom recommendation
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 09:08:47 -0400

on 4/6/00 3:01 am, Lucian Chis at leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

> How about the Angenieux 35-70? Isn't that a great lens?
>
> Lucian

The only drawback of the Angenieux is the colour correction is not the same
as Leica optics - I think you'd find it a 'warm' lens.

I bought the f4 35/70 Vario-Elmarit after advice from the LUG and have now
used it extensively with a good range of different film. I've blown FP4 Plus
negs to 16x20 from it in both colour and B&W with no disgrace and am
delighted to say if fits in with my other older Leica optics perfectly. Even
the Macro mode has some use.

The only drawbacks I've found:
- - the length which prohibits use in a long-nose case on an older R series
body
- - the insane plastic lens cap which statically attracts dust from all four
corners of the planet
- - the supplied lens shade which requires screwing off, inverting and
screwing back in for storage (not as elegant as the built-in shades on the
older zooms - but then they don't have the optical performance)

- --
Regards
David

dprakel@rochester.rr.com