Subject: Re: [Leica] Using f 4 35-70, f 4 80-200 zooms
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 10:05:46 -0700

Sorry- I clipped the whole message, but I felt that if I ran on, then
reiterating the whole thing might be tiresome!
My recommendation would be to try any lens combination yourselve! I found
that the newer lenses, with all their wonderful improvements, were not
giving me the images and 'look' I was trying to achieve!
I just bought a 1933 thin Elmar 90/4, uncoated, and I intend to sell my
Summicron-90 (last non-asph) since I found the old Elmar gave me the look
and bokeh I liked better! I sincerely regret selling my other Elmar 90 to a
LUGGER, and should have put a caveat that if he didn't like it at some time,
he'd send it back to me!
I find that I use my Summarit more than I use the Summilux! I may have an
exceptional copy of the Summarit, but after Sherry cleaned and collimated
it, I found that its speed, and image rendering was more to my likeing that
the Summilux-50 I have! The Bokeh is magnificent, and when I shoot people,
especially the ladies, it renders a sharp image, but with a look that the
Summilux can't match.
Call me crazy! (my wife does, all the time!), but I think that the beauty of
the Leica system is that there is a lens to match the creative vision of
everyone out there- they have been making matchless optices for so long,
that anyone can find something they like amoung the myriad of choices!
Even after wheeling and dealing to get an M6, which I love, I still find
that as often as not, I am stuffing the IIIa and the 35 Summaron into the
pocket- 'just in case'!
Erwin's contributions are superb- it's like reading about taking a Porsche
Targa, opening it up-'to see what she'll do' without ever leaving your
chair! It's interesting, and informative, but I am more like the guy that
would take a slow speed tour in an old bath-tub  Porsche- listening to the
pop and crackle of the engine, feeling the road, and revelling in a slower
but just as an enjoyable ride.
Different strokes for different folks!
Dan ( Still using Tri-X and D-76....) Post