Subject: [Leica] R zoom recommendation?
From: "Gib Robinson" <robinson@sfsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 08:05:57 -0700

George Kase wrote:
can anyone advise concerning whether some of the less
expensive used R zooms on the market have any pitfalls...
the 35-70 or the 70-200,etc. Do they have the "Leica glass look"
when you print out results, or are they best avoided. I can't
seem to find comparisons that specify which if any of the zooms
weren't up to usual Leica results...

George,

I've been using both those f/4 zooms for about a year. I have no complaints
about the results or their design. I've been shooting higher speed film
(mostly E200), so I can't judge how they would do under ideal testing
conditions, but the color and quality looks very much like other R lenses I
use. Leica claims the image results are "quite comparable" to fixed focal
lengths, and I have no reason to doubt that statement.

- --Gib