Subject: Re: [Leica] Bugeye Summaron f2.8 or 3.5 for M3
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 10:56:54 -0600

No one has posted an answer to this so I will try to help. This usually
prompts the more qualified people to chime in as I typically make a complete
a** of myself :-). If you dig through the archives:

http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/

 you will find various opinions on both lenses, generally the 2.8 is
considered better than the 3.5. The reason I say generally is that with
lenses this old it is all to common for people to be using lenses that need
cleaning. This is not always readily apparent and degrades the image
significantly, or, as some would say, gives it that special Leica glow. If
you do purchase one, budget for a CLA. Which lens? As always it is a trade
off between available budget and needs. If you shoot low light, I would say
a late, cosmetically trashed, but optically fine f2.0 Summicron would be the
best. If you shoot 400 ASA C41 in daylight, then the 3.5 would do just as
well as anything faster or more expensive. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

John Collier