Subject: [Leica] Buying Leica
From: "Marthe & Rene" <marthe.rene@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 23:01:02 -0400

William,

Leica Equipment is *very" expensive anywhere you buy it. Having said that,
in February I bought a new Leica M 90/2 APO ASPH  from my local camera shop
for $2700 CDN with taxes which converts to less than $1800 USD including
taxes. At the time there was nobody in the USA that was offering one for
less.

I agree with you that used equipment is a bit harder to find depending on
your location in Canada. Here in Ottawa, there are four stores that
regularly have used Leica equipment although I have not seen lots of LTM,
mostly M2-M6 and M lenses and R stuff.

I'm surprised that you get charged for duties.  There are no duties on used
camera equipment being imported into Canada.  You only have to pay the sales
taxes. US Airmail is reliable and the stuff often arrives at my door without
having to pay taxes.  The only ones to avoid like the plague is United
Parcel Service UPS, I have had nothing but grief from them, they charge as
much as Fedex, are slower, and charge you $25 brokerage fee before delivery.

 I have purchased the majority of my photographic equipment from Ebay. I
have over 50 transactions. Ebay is not perfect but if you are careful and
not to eager to bid at everything that comes up you can find decent prices.
Although less lately. I have purchased the following on Ebay,  M6, 28/2.8M,
35/1.4 ASPH, 90/2.8M, R7, R8, 50/2 R, 35/2 R 90/2R, Hassy 553ELX, 50/2.8 CF,
80CF, 180CF, several backs, Metz flash and several accessories.  All the
equipment was as advertised and I paid considerably less than anything I
have seen in Shutterbug or locally at the photo store in the used section.
Only once did a lens not met my expectations. It was returned for a full
refund minus shipping cost. You just have to be patient and wait for the
right occasion.

Rene