Subject: Re: [Leica] more d.o.f. with asph?
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 19:05:53 +0100

2000-06-05-00:40:03 Christer Almqvist:
> ..... I get the impression that the depth of field with the asph lens is
> much wider (or larger or deeper or whatever) than with the comparable
> pre-asph lens.

Interesting.  Because this is precisely the opposite of what I've
observed.  It seems to me that the ASPH (we are talking about 35mm
Summicron-Ms, right?) achieves greater... we'll use the word
"sharpness" for lack of whatever the truly precise word would be... at
the actual plane of focus, but that it blows out of focus at a higher
rate as that plane is left.