Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL Info
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2000 13:53:14 -0700

On Mon, 05 June 2000, Evan J Dong wrote:

> After reading all the fantastic rave on the Leicaflex SL and also my own
> experience of using one, I decide to embark on the search for an SL.
> I located one and plan to take the plunge and buy into a Leicaflex SL
> system.  I am looking at a chrome SL body with 3 lenses.
>
> The lenses are :     1. 35mm F2.8    serial no# 220XXXX   Series 6 filters
>         2. 50mmF2.0    serial no# 224XXXX   Series 6 filters
>         3.90mmF2.8    serial no# 217XXXX   Series 7 filters
>
> There are no front lens cap nor filters for any of the lenses. Just 2
> rear lens cap and al three lenses have the detachable lens hood.
>
> I will have a 14 day inspection period to check the camera and the lenses
> out.  What should I be looking for in regards to possible problems and
> whom should I have inspect  and do any repairs if necessary, on the
> camera?
>
> I was told that there is a slight tinge of dirt in the viewfinder. I
> would assume that the glass prism would require either re silvering or re
> cementing of the glass.
> What would the equivalent step-up filter size for the Series 6 and Series
> 7 filters?
>

> I would like to take the time to personally thank everyone here on the
> LUG, for sharing their vast knowledge of the Leica system.
>
> Evan Dong

Evan,

The prism doesn't need to be replaced if it's really just dirt in the viewfinder.  If there's an uneven discoloration or areas where the viewfinder just doesn't look right then the prism replacement or re-silvering may be beneficial.  An SL's viewfinder should make the ENTIRE picture area look brighter, sharper and clearer than reality.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!