Subject: [Leica] simplicity
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 07:24:18 -0700 (PDT)

I was flying yesterday, so I had a chance to catch up some reading.  I
thought this might be of interest to the list.  Sound familiar?  :)

Antoine de Saint-Exupery, in _Wind, Sand, and Stars_ wrote:

   Have you ever thought ... that all man's industrial efforts
   ... invariably culminate in the production of a thing whose sole and
   guiding principle is the ultimate principle of simplicity?  It is as
   if there were a natural law which ordained that to achieve this end,
   to refine the curve of a piece of furniture, or ship keel, or the
   fuselage of an airplane, until gradually it partakes of the
elemental
   purity of the curve of a human breast or shoulder, there must be the
   experimentation of several generations of craftsmen.  In anything at
   all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer
   anything to add, but where there is no longer anything to take away,
   when a body has been stripped down to its nakedness.