Subject: RE: [Leica] Tell Me About This Lens and Charlton Heston
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:50:02 -0400

Buzz,

My "skinny" Tele-Elmarit came with a collapsible rubber shade and plastic
snap-in cap different from, but in its manner of usage very similar to,
those for the Leica CL lenses.  It's different because it must screw into
the 39mm thread on the front of the T-E lens, but once attached, it allows
the use of the same Series 5 filters as the CL lenses (by means of its
separate unscrewable retaining ring), and its snap-in plastic cap is quite
similar to the CL's.

I like the metal hood too, and I think this rubber-vs-metal discussion
merely reflects personal preferences (as well as differing usages).  I
wasn't trying to talk you out of your metal hood but, in light of several
criticisms of it from you and others, simply wanted to offer LUG readers a
different view they might wish to consider.  But one point I must question
is your comment that the "lens cap...is absolutely guaranteed to fall off
and roll into the sewer."  In many years of using both CL lenses and also my
Tele-Elmarit with its rubber hood/plastic cap combination, I have never once
had a cap fall off or even get knocked off (as opposed to the current
generation lenses' snap-on caps, which seem to get brushed off the lens more
often than not).  The CL and T-E caps always snap firmly into place and
really stay put.

But that's just my personal experience, offered for free, so take it for
what little it may be worth.  :-)

Art Peterson