Subject: [Leica] Goofed with film advance on M3
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:35:57 -0400

At 10:46 AM 6/6/00 -0700, Peter Niessen wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I encountered a problem with the film advance. Of course, it happened
>when it mattered most, i.e. on my sort of first official assignment. I
>was to document our Choirs (www.amadeus-chor.de) trip to northern
>Germany and take a group picture of them all. This was hell! Getting
>to look 24 people smile friendly and look at you at the same time. So
>I bossed them around for 10 minutes and shot almost a roll, I thought.
>After development it turned out I goofed while inserting the film into
>my M3 and it did not advance the film. However, I used the rest of the
>roll later in the day and then it got the grip and advanced the film
>properly. Did someone experience this? How does one now handle the
>embarrasing situation to explain to 24 people they posed for nothing?

Respect your clients enough not to lie to them. Period. Explain that you
made a stupid mistake and that it will have to be re-shot.
If this can't be re-shot (I assume that the location is far away) return
any payment that you may have accepted and offer to re-shoot the group at
your cost at another location or the next time they are all in the unique
location. The "good will" of this offer will be appreciated and should more
than make up for their inconvenience. (Unless of course you were shooting
for free in the first place, in which case they got exactly what they paid
for and should have no complaints anyhow.)

Don't let this shake you confidence. Stuff like this happens to everyone.
(Especially on those first 'real' assignments.)

My first "official" shoot in the military (fresh out of photo school) was a
group shot of our entire company in Alaska. We were team shooting on 4X5.
They had the new guy (me) load the film. 130 people, a bucket lift, lots of
lights and lining troops up 1 hour and 20 shots or so later we were
finished...the film was developed and it was discovered that the new guy
(me) had loaded every sheet with the notches on the wrong side of the
holder...we had shot through the emulsion on EVERY SHOT. The Army does take
kindly to 130+ wasted man hours, but they got over it and I'll never screw
up loading 4X5 film again for the rest of my life.

I have since boned a portrait session in the last 15 years also and the
clients have always appreciated the buck stopping with me and some of them
have been repeat clients.

Now, four LUG digests have arrived since your post that I haven't gotten
to. I hope that this advice finds you in a somewhat timely manner. My
message is timeless however:

Honesty, is the best policy. (Unless "law enforcement" or the "judicial
system" is involved.)

Carpe Lumen,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.goodphotos.com