Subject: [Leica] OK Simon and Dan! Where is my Orgasmitron?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 23:08:42 -0600

Well as you all know, every time I go to the store to buy a M6, I usually
end up buying some other useful thing. After reading the soft porn "First
Openings" by Simon and Dan, I thought, "Whoa! Why not....and you get a
camera too!" So off I go to my local purveyor of all things Leica and I
order a chrome M6TTL regular­chrome because it is now more inconspicuous
than black, regular, because that is the kind of guy I am. So I spent a few
fretful nights before it comes, alternating between, "Can I make it happy?"
and "What was I thinking?". Then it arrives, I take it home, wait for my son
to fall asleep and then to the task at hand. I open the box, it is built
better than a cereal box but feels about the same to open; note: do not add
milk. So far, so nothing; maybe it is in opening the plastic bag....nope.
Hmmm...how about if I mount a lens? What! The £$@*&% lens will not mount!
Back in the box. Back to the store. The Sales Chappie checks it carefully
grabs one of the store's lenses and asks me to turn around. LATCH....the
lens now mounts and feels normal. Whew! Back home, finish opening with two
year old running wild. Seems to be no chance of corrupting his morals as
zilch is happening to me! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the strap sucks so I
bought a neon yellow Nikon one for it just like my other M. Treat them cruel
at first and they will appreciate any small kindness later. So I grab my
dummy roll and mount my winder on the bottom as I WANT TO KNOW! It is very
tight to fit on but hey, it is under warranty, better it breaks now. Slam
the roll through, sounds tight, but OK. I cut the poor little guy some slack
as it is just out of the factory after all. Next winder off, real film in
and outside where it is pouring rain. Good so far....no shorts or smoke.
Blow the roll. Man I like this meter, fast and precise. The shutter is
quieter than my old M4-2 but not as nice as my M2. Oh well, give it forty
years. Conclusion, nice camera but I was.....you know.....expecting a little
something more.

John Collier