Subject: Re: [Leica] Grundsteinlegung, bitte (off topic but far from Heston)
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 11:39:54 -0400

At 11:27 AM -0700 6/9/00, Joe Codispoti wrote:
>Hello German speaking LUGers,
>
>I would be grateful for a translation of "Grundsteinlegung".
>
>In my limited knowledge of German I can come up with "laying of the
>foundation" or "ground braking".
>Am I close?
>
>Many thanks,
>Joe Codispoti

Finally an architectural discussion!!!

It literally means 'laying the foundation stone', but the connotation is

closer to 'setting the cornerstone'. In any case, it is used when
talking
about providing the essential basis for future endeavours.

Dear Henning.

Just curious, since it's been over a year since my last German class and
it's not in my dictionary, but wouldn't "Grundsteinlegung" be a feminine
noun? Your translation sounds more like a verb to me, unless I'm missing
something. Would "the previously-laid foundations (of an idea)" perhaps
be closer?

Simon Stevens