Subject: Re: [Leica] Grundsteinlegung, bitte (off topic but far from Heston)
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 09:37:16 -0700

>At 11:27 AM -0700 6/9/00, Joe Codispoti wrote:
>>Hello German speaking LUGers,
>>
>>I would be grateful for a translation of "Grundsteinlegung".
>>
>>In my limited knowledge of German I can come up with "laying of the
>>foundation" or "ground braking".
>>Am I close?
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>Joe Codispoti
>
>Finally an architectural discussion!!!
>
>It literally means 'laying the foundation stone', but the connotation is
>
>closer to 'setting the cornerstone'. In any case, it is used when
>talking
>about providing the essential basis for future endeavours.
>

>Dear Henning.
>
>Just curious, since it's been over a year since my last German class and
>it's not in my dictionary, but wouldn't "Grundsteinlegung" be a feminine
>noun? Your translation sounds more like a verb to me, unless I'm missing
>something. Would "the previously-laid foundations (of an idea)" perhaps
>be closer?
>
>Simon Stevens

Yes it is a feminine noun. Probably 'the setting of the cornerstone' is a
more correct grammatical translation. As I mentioned to Joe after he
pointed out to me where he ran across the word, it actually refers to the
cornerstone laying ceremony in his particular case.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com