Subject: [Leica] I met a LUGite...and survived
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 13:52:45 -0700 (PDT)

I'm currently escaping from my first LUG encounter.  I'm putting
distance between myself and Mark Rabiner at a rate of approximately
700 mph.  Which is a good thing, considering he showed me his Leica
collection, and now I feel naked with my one body and one lens.  I
need to buy more.  Buy!  Buy!  I must buy!!

Mark and Karen are fantastic hosts.  One of the highlights of the day
was watching Mark skip lightly through a fountain in pursuit of two
water-logged maidens.  And I have the entire event on film.  (Contact
me off list for a price list of the prints.  Unless of course, Mark
buys the rights to all the negatives outright.  :) I couldn't have
wished for a better time, other than being accosted by a panhandler
with a disposable camera.  (If memory serves, he was using a Canon
20-35 zoom on said disposable).

Even better and more exciting, Mark showed me the Rabiner Two Step,
which is a lot less like a country line dance than it sounds.  The man
makes a pretty mean print.  After reading the thread about being
probed...err...using a probe to determine exposure, I see where Mark
is coming from when he says nothing beats a test quadrangle for
determining proper settings for both exposure and contrast.  His
technique is phenominal and makes me yearn even more for my own
darkroom setup.

After trying some of Mark's glass, I'm even more confused than ever
about my priority list.  I think the 75/1.4 is being dropped down in
place considerably in favor of a 24.  After that, I'll probably pick
up a telephoto, like the 50.  :)

I'm looking forward to my next trip out to the cloud capital of the
world, so that we can reconnoiter again.  Thanks for the best durn
time of my gosh durned trip, Mark!