Subject: [Leica] Re: Expensive Bags
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:02:10 -0700

Douglas

>>I find this talk of bags a bit amusing.  The Billingham in particular is
hilariously overpriced, and seems to offer nothing over a no-name bag I
could buy on 14th St. for a few bucks.<<

I, too, felt that way about the price. And I probably never would have
purchased one. However, I chanced upon a used Billingham bag at a local
store. It was in the bargain bin, dirty and mud-caked, like it had just
returned from safari. I bought it for a song and cleaned it up. I have a
half dozen very nice bags, but this has turned out to be my favorite. When
I carry a bag, and I admit I avoid that as much as possible, I carry the
Billingham. It's comfortable, well padded, and getting stuff in and out is
fast and convenient. I'm not certain which model bag it is (Hadley
perhaps). It's older. As mentioned, it was used when I bought it. I've had
it for several years and I've put it through some paces. Still, it shows
little sign of wear. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's
black. I hate black bags. I much prefer lighter colors. Still, I'll take
function over appearance any day. Plus, the price was right. Having now
used one I'm convinced the new ones are not overpriced (unless for some
reason the quality has diminished). I try not to look at bags these days.
Looking is the reason I currently own 6, which is about 5 too many.

Dave