Subject: Re: [Leica] Tell Me About This Lens and Charlton Heston
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:39:43 -0700

Guy

>>i handled the 75/1.4 for the first time, and was surprised - it wasn't as
heavy as i expected! i too use the 90/2.8, i've got one in chrome, and
apparently the weight is identical (maybe that's why the 75 didn't feel
*too* heavy).

the price is pretty heavy, however.<<

I agree. The lens doesn't seem heavy. It's just a tad too big, and the
cost, as you say, is significant. Plus, I don't very often find myself
wishing for a tele faster than the 90/2.8.

The smaller the lens, the more likely I am to use it. Oddly, I use the
15/4.5 Heliar a great deal, simply because it's so small -- even with the
finder -- that I take it everywhere. I paid a mere $400 for that lens.
OTOH, as fine a lens as it is, I hardly use my 21/2.8 ASPH. With hood, it's
pretty bulky, so it remains locked away more often than not.

I came across a used 75/1.4 a while back. The price was extremely
attractive. But I passed, because I was afraid the same thing might happen.
I'd leave it at home and instead favor the 90/2.8 (The 90/2.8 isn't THAT
much smaller, but the difference is significant enough).

Dave