Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Was: Tell Me About This Lens Now: TE versus new e lmarit
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:37:52 -0400

Mark,

I question your assumption that "Normally a new version of a lens is more
compact and lighter by a small margin."  That may happen sometimes, but
quite often things seem to go the other way, at least recently.  Both the
new ASPH 35mm lenses, Summicron and Summilux, are larger and heavier than
their predecessors, the latter one by quite a significant margin.  So too I
believe the current 50mm Summicron and Summilux are both larger and heavier
than the previous versions, if only slightly, even though their optical
formulas remained unchanged.  And the new ASPH-APO 90mm Summicron is also
slightly larger and heavier than its predecessor, which in turn was slightly
larger and heavier than the one (with the 49mm filter thread) that preceeded
it.  And the last 135mm f/4.0 lens (with 46mm filter ring) was larger and
heavier than the previous Tele-Elmar (with 39mm filter ring) that preceeded
it, even though again the optical formula remained unchanged.

It can go both ways, and there's really no "rule" here, or so it seems to
me.  (But I can be wrong.)  :-)

Art Peterson