Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Was: Tell Me About This Lens Now: TE versus new elmarit
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:43:59 -0700

Peterson Arthur G NSSC wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I question your assumption that "Normally a new version of a lens is more
> compact and lighter by a small margin."  That may happen sometimes, but
> quite often things seem to go the other way, at least recently.  Both the
> new ASPH 35mm lenses, Summicron and Summilux, are larger and heavier than
> their predecessors, the latter one by quite a significant margin.  So too I
> believe the current 50mm Summicron and Summilux are both larger and heavier
> than the previous versions, if only slightly, even though their optical
> formulas remained unchanged.  And the new ASPH-APO 90mm Summicron is also
> slightly larger and heavier than its predecessor, which in turn was slightly
> larger and heavier than the one (with the 49mm filter thread) that preceeded
> it.  And the last 135mm f/4.0 lens (with 46mm filter ring) was larger and
> heavier than the previous Tele-Elmar (with 39mm filter ring) that preceeded
> it, even though again the optical formula remained unchanged.
>
> It can go both ways, and there's really no "rule" here, or so it seems to
> me.  (But I can be wrong.)  :-)
>
> Art Peterson
><Snip>

Art!, Your right with the ASPHs they upped the anti on weight but in the case of
the new 3.4 135 Telyt it is a tad lighter was well as faster and I do love that lens.
My 50 Summicron from 7 years ago with the reversible hood was lighter and an
element shyer than it's predecessor.
I like what they've done with that classic lens and prefer it to the one with
the built in hood. Dropping an element on the 50 Summicron is a tread we've been
tangled in before until we've gotten compactly digested and disgusted.
But my 35 Summicron Asph weighs a ton and i was disappointed by that aspect only
of the lens.
The added weight was worth the price IMO of perfection.
Mark Rabiner