Subject: Re: [Leica] The final installment of HUMAN TRAFFIC
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:51:53 +0100

This is a great batch.  It's as if you had a special burst of
focus/creativity/luck as you went out to suck the juice out of London
before taking off.  It'll be interesting to see what you come up with
in Toronto, especially right after you arrive -- I find that I'm
especially sensitive to the individual quirks of a place when I first
arrive, and haven't had a chance to get so used to things that I don't
see them anymore.

2000-06-09-14:21:15 Johnny Deadman:
> My personal favourite is:
>
>     http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_15/pages/010.html

It has a lot going for it -- really good faces, nice layering.

So... what was going on here:

  http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/humantraffic/portfolio_15/pages/008.html

Did something emotionally disturbing happen which affected the
onlookers, or do some of them just have allergies, or...?

Oh, I had a look at Martin's crop.  I have to say that it feels a
little claustrophobic;  I prefer the breathing room in the original.
But I agree that that's not the strongest picture in the bunch.
H'mm... maybe nothing so radical as what Martin did, just a little off
the top?

> Not as crowdpleasing as the recent Speakers Corner
> stuff,

Interesting, that.  After all the discussion, I took myself off to
Speaker's Corner this last Sunday.  I haven't picked up the snaps yet
(yes, to my shame, I have others do the developing), but I have a
sinking feeling I may not have bagged Deadman-quality images.  We'll
see.  (Or rather, if they purely suck, I'll see.)  The kind of
disturbing thing, though, was how many people were standing a few
miles off shore and lobbing in shells with really long lenses -- at
least I waded on in with a 24, a 35 and a 50 as my tele.  Who was it
who said that if your pictures aren't interesting, you aren't close
enough?  Then got so close it killed him?  Was it Capa?