Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Sylvia Plachy OT and "Art"
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:39:31 +0100

2000-06-12-23:28:03 Jim Brick:
> At 10:54 PM 6/12/00 +0100, Jeff Moore wrote:
> >
> >C'mon, Jim, do tell: it'd be a public service.  Swearing thoroughly
> >and creatively is an artform (oops -- that word!).  Too many people
> >get dull and repetitive when they're cussing.
> >

> So, now I guess "Hell" is swearing. Oh damn... learn something every day.

Huh?  I was referring to this:

> and I R-E-A-L-L-Y cannot repeat what they said about its winning. They
> must have been in the US Navy before they became photographers.

I thought we might learn some salty new turns of phrase.

> Now I would like to know about the photographs that I've trashed. I'm old
> and have a feeble memory. Maybe you could re-fresh me.

As you did recall, there was that Southern-road Eggleston.  I wasn't
immediately drawn to it either, but I was glad to have a chance to
look at it, and read the discussion, and have a think.  And afterwards
I saw a dye-transfer Eggleston print in a gallery -- an interior, also
a very simple photo, but a pleasing formal composition and... it had
something.  At least I thought so.

Could've sworn there've been other occasions when you and some others
piled on Art Photographs (always preciously capitalized) in what
seemed to me to be kind of a knee-jerk way.  But of course, I have
noted that one thing which occurs as we age is that we get better and
better at recognizing the telltale characteristics of things,
activities, and people we just aren't going to enjoy spending time
with.  That can help one avoid having to sit through a lot of annoying
situations.  So... your opinion is every bit your right; there was
just something about the way it was expressed which got a rise out of
me.

Message from Photovilla@aol.com (Re: [Leica] Sylvia Plachy OT (a bit))
Message from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: Sylvia Plachy OT and "Art")
Message from Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Sylvia Plachy OT and "Art")