Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:26:28 -0700

Joe Codispoti wrote:

> This is not to negate the work of any photographer who uses Noctilux lenses:
> I would rather see a portrait of a person taken with fill flash at f/4.0
> than one with dark eye sockets taken at f/1.4 in existing light.
>
> It is not the amount of light that counts. It is the quality of light that
> will make or break the photograph.

Joseph,

light that will make or break the photograph.<<<<<

Absolutely true!!!!!  However, one must understand: Using the light to
ones advantage without creating black eye sockets is possible when you
use the Noctilux. Images in low light situations would otherwise not be
possible with other lens if you had to hand hold your camera.

Yep, and in some cases, folks with slower lenses, f 2.0 or 1.4 could do
the same thing, but they would have to be working at a slower shutter
speed and lose the the advantage afforded by the Noctilux.

In my book, "This is Our Work."  the photograph on plate 69 illustrates
the value of the Noctilux in a truly "available darkness" situation.
This shot would not have been possible with a slower lens without
increasing the film rating or using a slower shutter speed which in
either case would have probably created a blurred image, camera shake or
an unacceptable graininess.

ted

Message from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: it DOESN'T work well for leica!)