Subject: Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:23:00 -0700

Bernard wrote:

> I can't believe how you would need a nocti in a hospital. Isn't that people's
> workplace? Aren't there laws in the US stating how bright the light should be at
> people's workplace? Wouldn't a hospital be a well-lit place, practically per
> definition?! And the man has to use a nocti and ISO1600 film... who are you
> kidding! A 2.8 quality point and shoot would have done just as nicely, and it's
> a lot quieter yet.<<<<<<<<<<<

Excuse' moi?   Bernard,  have you ever been in a heart surgery recovery
room at 2 a.m.?  Like that's in the middle of the "dark time," you know
......   night!

Now lets  take your post one line at a time so there wont be any
confusion in what I'm saying!

<<<<<<<I can't believe how you would need a nocti in a hospital. Isn't
that people's
> workplace? <<<<<<<<<

Yes it is. Lots of people work there. Day and " Night! "

> people's workplace? <<<<<<

There maybe!  In the USA.

However, I live in Canada and shot the book there.  Besides we're
looking at a scene 2 a.m. in the night, whether that's in the US ,
Canada or Bangladesh and the lights are out.   And a doctor discussing a
situation with a patient where there are others sleeping in the same
room.  Is he going to turn on all the lights, waken and disturb
recovering patients or is he going to use one little bed side lamp?
Think about that scene for a moment and 2.8!

kidding! <<<<<<<

Well now son,  you better cut and run,  because in my entire life I
never kid when it comes to photography!  And if someone stated that I
used ASA 1600 and a Noctilux, then by God that's what I used.  However,
I do believe it was ASA 800 if you're referring to my earlier post on
Plate 69 in my book "This is Our Work."

Although there were a few situations where 3200 Tmax was used and rated
at 1600. But 99% of the images in the book are Tmax 400 rated at 800 and
processed for 6 min. @ 75 degrees in Tmax developer, agitated for the
first  30 seconds and 5 seconds each minute there after.

> a lot quieter yet.<<<<<

Really? It seems you might be mistaken unless you're using a loud  Leica
M6!  And as far as any suggestion of a pointie-shootie and a 2.8 lens,
sorry old buddy, never happen in the above mentioned lighting
conditions.  Unless you like point and shoot wiggly squiggly pictures.

Possibly you might do better with a few years experience under your belt
in the real world of available light photography before you make
unfounded remarks about other photographers work.  Actually at the
moment you sound like some of the "visually impaired editors" I've had
to contend with over the years.  No offense me old son!

ted

Replies: Reply from Bernard <4829.g23@g23.relcom.ru> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)
Message from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)
Message from Bernard <4829.g23@g23.relcom.ru> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)