Subject: [Leica] Light in the Delivery Room
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:55:26 -0400

I have been present at the birth of my two children.  Also, my wife is an
obstetrician and from her I have learned a great deal about the conditions
under which women give birth and have had the opportunity to observe many
delivery rooms in a number of US hospitals.  It is quite common in the U.S.
to deliver a child in a fairly dark environment.  True, the actual plane of
action will be well lighted perhaps by one focused lamp.  However, the rest
of the room may be quite dim.  Scenes such as the mother's first moments
holding her child are often undertaken in subdued light.  Similarly,
cleaning the newborn and her first examination by the doctor, the father's
first snuggle with the swaddled baby, and many other touching and important
moments may take place away from full or direct light.

No, babies are not born in hospitals under the light of just one candle, but
the delivery room may present many challenging lighting conditions which
require wide apertures and fast films.  If you would actually like to learn
something, Bernard, I would be happy to arrange for you to speak with people
who deliver babies.