Subject: RE: [Leica] Light in the Delivery Room
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:31:04 -0400

It really is getting ridiculous to have so much time and space on the LUG
taken up by the nasty rantings of people who obviously know nothing about
photography - let alone photography using Leicas - or about much else for
that matter - AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU, BUZZ! :-) - But...

Bernard, Mon Ami, hospitals are notoriously and appallingly badly lit. (One
assumes your knowledge of them comes from watching re-runs of ER). Hallways
often vary between fluorescent hot-spots and deep shadow, and OR's - that's
Operating Rooms, Bernie - which is what a "delivery room" is, are flatly lit
spaces with, as Buzz points out - he's actually seen the inside of a few
hospitals - glaring hot-spots over the tables. It is not f 2.8 point and
shoot land. If one needs to shoot at 2.8, which I often do in order to still
use my 21, then one needs to shoot at 800-3200 asa if one actually wants
useable images on film...you know, B., that plasticy stuff that goes in the
back of the camera?.

Not that I have a Noctilux, but if any place in the work-world was made for
that lens, it is the hospital environment, where subjects are moving and the
lighting is low.

If anyone who hasn't wants to see what a 21 ASPH and 35 ASPH Sum can produce
in the hospital labor and delivery room environment, you can take a look at
http:/www.a-day-in-our-life.com
and go to Having Twins....and, oh yes, the doctor is Buzz's wife.

And where, Bernard, as I believe I have asked before, can we go to look at
your P&S photos? :-)

B. D.
(Who is really ashamed that the B. stands for....yes, it is, sadly, true,
Bernard.;-) )

Replies: Reply from Bernard <4829.g23@g23.relcom.ru> (Re: [Leica] Light in the Delivery Room)
Reply from Bernard <4829.g23@g23.relcom.ru> (Re: [Leica] Light in the Delivery Room)
Reply from "Julian Thomas" <mimesis@btinternet.com> (Re: [Leica] Light in the Delivery Room)