Subject: [Leica] Re: Positive vs. Negative
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:15:21 -0700

I agree with Mark that modern color negative material is a whole lot better
than it used to be. For the years 1970 through 1980, I used color neg
exclusively. I mixed my own C-22 process from scratch, with minor
modifications. I had fun,  and the results were great. Then work took over
and I didn't have the time for darkroom stuff and I switched to
transparencies. Fuji 50. Then Velvia came out. Then I started making
Cibachromes. And lately I've been making LightJets as well. I've never
looked back.

There is something about looking at a transparency on a light table, vs
looking at a color neg on a light table. With a transparency, you know at
that moment if you have it or not. You still have to print the neg to say,
with conviction, I have it or I don't.

Since most of my photography is for large display prints, I use mostly 6x6
and 4x5, which would require a scanner far more expensive than I can afford.

Of course, the school picture business, portraits, and weddings thrive on
color neg. They could not use transparencies very easily. There are quite a
few stock photographers that have switched to neg. They have them duped
into a transparency for filing with a stock agency. Stock agencies run on
transparencies.

Jim

Message from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)
Message from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)