Subject: [Leica] Doing it manually, using the gray matter computer.
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:36:03 -0700

At 12:57 PM 6/9/00 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>So this is why fine art printers tend to do things the old fashioned way. It's
>not because they can't afford high tech meters and densitometers and closed
>loop systems. It's because although numbers are wonderful they dont'
compete with
>hard copy in hand results.
>
>Short haired not so fat Mark Rabiner

If you look back at all of the "master" photographers (those who did their
own darkroom work) you'll find that the majority of them used the manual
system. Perhaps all of them. Test strips, dodging & burning, and bleaching.
Visually looking at printed results. First wet, then dry.

I've read Phil Davis' BTZS and CTein's stuff. It is very impressive but all
those plots. By the time you get finished plotting a film emulsion to a
paper emulsion, you've both run out of film and paper and you are sick of
all those numbers. So then you just print your stuff the way you always have.

Test strips, dodging & burning, and bleaching.

And then it's fun again.

Jim

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Doing it manually, using the gray matter computer.)
Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] Doing it manually, using the gray matter computer.)