Subject: [Leica] Flash Delivery
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:12:37 -0400

I checked with my wife, who is an obstetrician, and Beth says that flash is
okay with her and that there is no policy against it in her big city
teaching hospital.  However, as the wife of a photographer, nothing to do
with camera gear phases her.  Of course, one should probably ask advanced
permission of all present before using flash during critical moments in the
delivery.  My personal take is that it might not be a good idea in general
to use flash during the action phase of delivering a baby.  In the rare
cases when something goes wrong, you don't want to do anything to distract
the obstetrician who is trying to stem a major hemorrhage or the
pediatricians trying to revive a neo-nate with zero-zero Apgar scores.
Also, I cannot speak to the effects that flash might have on the
under-developed eyes of the baby...maybe none, but perhaps there is a
neo-natologist on-list who can speak to this matter.

	Buzz Hausner