Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica CL / CLE vs. Bessa-R
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:30:19 -0400

Greetings William!

	I have never used a CLE, but I must demur from the general adoration
of the Leica CL.  I owned one for six or seven years and, while I loved the
Wetzlar forty and ninety C lenses, the body was a problem for me.  The
biggest matter was that they used too brittle an adhesive to attach the
meter cell to its stalk behind the lens.  The movement of the stalk would
dislodge the cell.  This happened perhaps twice a year and once jammed the
shutter requiring an expensive repair.  I also dislike the front-mounted
shutter speed dial which kept getting banged into something and twice in six
years required a long and expensive trip to New Jersey to rectify.
Personally I hate the vertical dangle from the side mounted strap lugs,
something other CL and M5 users adore.  I found the body too small for my
hands and my fingers always seemed to smear something on the rangefinder
windows.

	I would also say that it does not have the mechanical feel of an M
series Leica and, based on my personal experience, I certainly would never
trust a CL to function under adverse conditions as I always rely on my Ms.
Nonetheless, check the archives.  Many photographers loved and continue to
love the CL.

	Buzz Hausner