Subject: [Leica] Leica cameras and toy pictures
From: Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:37:57 +0200

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 05:50:07 -0400
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
I've been thinking about quality of cameras and quality of photography...
<<<<<<<<<<<<

When you go into a slum where your Leica is worth more than the average
house your subjects are living in, and definitely worth many times more
than any money they're likely to save in their lifetimes, it makes you
wonder. But in the end, if you're going to tell their story, they - and it
- - are worth the best you can give in effort and equipment, I think. But I
also never give a straight answer to "how much is that camera, mister?" -
partly shame, partly common sense.
I do care about what's in front of my camera, in fact, a camera is largely
an excuse to explore other lives for me. I'm also passionate about
photography and the quality of the images I make, but I certainly don't
think that taking downtrodden people's pictures is going to change their
lives in any way. But I do believe that anything excellent - I _aim_ for
excellence, nota bene! - as difficult and rare as it certainly is, is by
that token also valuable.
I also like the feel, etc. of my toys. But funnily enough I find it more
embarassing to walk around in Italy with a Leica around my neck where
there's a chance someone might recognise it as that snob camera, than I do
in places where nobody has the faintest idea!
I think everyone who pursues it with passion is ambivalent about
photography. Means and ends. But that's life - as Bernard would say, get
used to it!
Rob.

Robert Appleby and Sue Darlow
Via Bellentani 36